Saturday, December 21, 2013

Is Your Food Really Food?

I hate mayo. Reallly hate it, but LOVE fat free ranch dressing. Now I know why, thanks to Mark at Mark’s Daily Apple.

Fat free dressing is basically just corn syrup and modified food starch. The one I had earlier today- a lowfat version- had actual buttermilk in it (though it was in the less than 2% category) and instead of modified food starch had whey protein powder in it.

So apparently I only like fake ranch dressing but now that I have analyzed the content of what I’m eating, I don’t want to eat it. It’s not really food. How much of what we eat isn't  really food? A lot of it. A really whole lot of it.

Fake food is even put into our real food. You get something like applesauce. You expect your applesauce to be apples, some water (or it’d be real chunky applesauce), and maybe a bit of sugar. Then you find out they put all sorts of crap in your applesauce and modify it from something that was food (your applesauce) into something that is filled with chemicals.

Why all this corn syrup? I don’t mind the whole “corn syrup movement” really, but, okay, yeah I do. The more processed it is, the more it loses if what is once was. You certainly can’t call it corn, eh? Isn't plain old table sugar a bit less processed than corn syrup? I don't know, but I’m not a big fan of either.

These “fruit snacks” we feed our kids- what the hell are they? They’re certainly not food if you actually take the time to read the labels.

Even in our dried raisins, dried cranberries, and other dried fruits you’ll find a bunch of additives and chemicals. We are doing ourselves (and more importantly) our children a huge dis-service by purchasing and continuing the growth of companies that feed us chemicals.

Real food lives and dies.
Real food goes bad and rots.
Real food is fruits, vegetables, and animals.

Anyway, make sure the food you’re eating is really food.

No comments:

Post a Comment