Friday, January 17, 2014

Vibram Five Fingers, My Mudder Footwear


If you're going to do a mud run, footwear is an important thing to consider. You might see some people tapeing their shoes with duct tape to help prevent mud getting in through the laces and at the ankles. 

I wore Saucony for my first mud run. And I think Van's for my second mud run. Then I decided I would wear my Vibrams. I love these shoes and this is a pic of them cleaned and worn at work. I'm going to wear these FOREVER for every mud run I ever do again. 

The regular tie up shoes, despite taping, get muddy. And the tape comes off. I felt like I was wearing sandpaper because all the mud in my shoes was really rubbing my feet raw. With these shoes I did no taping. I had very little mud problems with the footwear and they didn't bog me down like the other shoes did.

And I didn't have to go to a professional this time to get the mud from under my toenails. Yes, I really had to do that... My first mud run took me four times of soaking at home and doing self pedi's before I finally went in. I felt SOOOO bad presenting my still muddy toenails to the girl. I did give twice the tip I usually do, but still, I felt bad. 

I never attempted to clean my other shoes, but these come clean easily enough. I brought them in the shower with me. Well, I brought my whole run day wardrobe into the shower with me. I toss all my clothes on the floor and basically pretend I'm wine making as I get clean. I usually wash my hair 2 or 3 times despite the tight bun or braids I do for these events. I usually have to wash myself at least twice as well. Then I get the most of the mud off my clothes that I plan to keep. I use the same bra and undies for each mud run. Yes, I really do. And the compression clothes come clean fairly well after my shower and a run through the washer. Sometimes twice in the washer...

You do need to wear them to get the muscles, ligaments, and tendons in your legs aquainted with them. Go slowly. I walked with them first, then jogged short distances, then finally running and jogging longer distances. Even most tennis shoes and running shoes have a slight lift in the heel. Don't think that if you're running 10 miles you can just put on a flat shoe and run. I used to run in sandals so it wasn't too hard of a transition for me. 

Anyway, if you're doing a mud run, consider Vibrams. They will be joining me this next Tough Mudder too. No, I'm not on their payroll ;). I just really love these shoes! Even if my coworkers think they're creepy...

No comments:

Post a Comment